Monday, March 16, 2009

The Good News and the Better News


The good news: we are home! We drove back to Florida to spend Spring Break with Robert. It's only been a few weeks since he was in Mississippi to check on us, but it feels like ages ago! We went to church yesterday morning and then drove over to Cocoa Beach to play in the ocean and wait for the space shuttle launch. We've always been able to see the shuttle go up from our house nearly 60 miles from the launch pad, but we wanted a real up close view. Thousands of families and photographers lined the beach hours before liftoff to lay claim to good viewing spots. I parked myself in a beach chair with a book and Robert took the kids out into the surf. When the shuttle went up at 7:43pm, the sky lit up bright orange and crowds of people cheered on our astronauts.



The better news: God has answered prayer! We received an email on Saturday from the director of the organization that advocates for children like "our" girl. The child we have praying for has a family! And while we feel a little sadness that she will not become the next Landrum, it is but a drop in the ocean of joy over knowing that she will not see the inside of an institution and will know the love of a family. God has answered prayer! We firmly believe that she was our second Sophia and so we anxiously await where God will lead us next. God hasn't closed the door on adoption for us, He has simply redirected our path. And while the change in direction can sometimes be surprising, we still rejoice in the fact that He does direct our path! When I shared with Robert the news about our girl he said, "Well, there's no shortage of orphans in the world! Choose another one!" I love his unflappable attitude and the fact that He trusts God so very much. This will give us more time to save and raise adoption funds. It will also allow us time to either sell the house in Florida and move to Mississippi permanently, or move back to Florida and resettle in our home. God's timing is perfect and we trust Him so very much in this process. Continue to pray for us as we seek Him about adding a child/children to our family, raise support, and find where we should be!

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
-Romans 8:28

10 comments:

Tami said...

Being home is the best! Shad took the three older kids 'home' to Kansas this weekend. I stayed behind because I'm afraid if I went I would have a real hard time leaving again. Home is where your heart is, right? And for me right now its still in Kansas.
I'm so glad your Sophia has found her forever family...we will be praying for your child whereever he/she is. ;>)

Matthew Nasekos said...

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL week with Robert!! We look forward to catching up with you when you return. We will be down your way in the next few weeks, maybe we can set up at time for the girls to see each other at the park or something. We are continuing to pray for you all on your journey.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Wow, Leslie. I don't know exactly why, but I'm in tears thinking of your "Sophia" - not that I'm sad that she won't be in your family, but just so deeply touched by the way the Lord shapes the heart of His children. Your honesty and willingness to ask for His heart, his plans, His will is simply beautiful. Thank you for letting us all follow the journey!

Heidi and Felix said...

We loved four kids that found homes before we were able to adopt them. But, good for them, they have families now. Your "Sophia" is still out there wondering, waiting for you. I love Romans 8:28 It's a good verse for your situation.

Felix

Ashley said...

Yes, He does work all things together for our good. We may not see it or understand it at the time. I praise God this little girl has a family. I did want it to be yours, but praise God she will not go to the institution. God has your child and knows exactly who he/she is. I am so glad you are trusting Him through it all. This is what He wants us to do. It's not always easy, but so rewarding when we finally realize that we need to release it to Him. I love your faith and I praise God that another child will be coming to your family. You've stepped out in faith and He is going to see this come to pass.

Tony and Dawn said...

You have been down this road before, so you know it is all about His timing and His desire for you. Sorry to hear about the little one, I know it hurt. Remember, God has a plan for you (and us)and he will let you know who and where and all that stuff when the time is right.

We are starting our second adoption as well and financially in the same boat. The Lord will provide! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you would consider Nadya? She's six years old and among the Other Angels - older children at RR. God has given her a second chance, moving her OUT of the institution! She has the sweetest smile!

I just fell for her myself, but since living in a country that has closed down the possibility to adopt from her country, my adopting her will just not happen... But I pray for her to find her a loving family!

Melissa E. said...

How wonderful for this little girl to have a family already! Her wait is over. And great for you all to be together as a family again if just for a short time. :-)

Lisa, Chris & Lucas said...

Wow...I have missed a lot! I haven't been reading blogs for quite awhile and I stopped in to see how you were all doing. Another adoption...that's fantastic! I remember that feeling well. Knowing that my Emma was out there waiting for us. Even with all the delays (2.5 years) I remember feeling peace because I knew that God was leading us in His timing. He is a master conductor in the symphony of our lives. He will lead you to your Sophia. And when I'm feeling frustrated (because that's what we type A's excel at) I like to say "Lisa...get out of your own way...you're blocking the path". I'm so thrilled for you all and I can't wait to experience this new journey with you...again!!!
Lisa

Vicki said...

My prayers are with you tonight, Leslie. I am praying that the Lord will bless this endeavor with his great favor and will bless the heart of your chosen child with the love that you and Robert will provide. Love to you in Christ.