Thursday, April 29, 2010

Who Do You Know?

We are in chilly Minneapolis this morning attending the first day of the Christian Alliance for Orphans Conference. So far: incredible! We were able to hear Tom Davis speak at the opening session and he was part of the session I attended on engaging "Youth and College Age Students in Orphan Ministry". If you're unfamiliar with Tom, a great place to start is his book Fields of the Fatherless. God used this book to help focus my vision for orphan ministry many years ago. Robert attended a session on church ministry and 501c3 organization and leadership structure.

The problem with conferences like this is there are 8-10 topic choices in each breakout session. I will have highlighted no less than four, yet I can't be in four places at one time. Thankfully the sessions are being recorded and will be available for sale. I'm sitting in the optional lunch session "International Adoption 2010: Challenges, Changes, and Difficult Questions" with a netbook perched precariously on my knees attempting to soak in and record as much as possible for our own adoption as well as the church that sent us.

Walking through the vendor tables this morning, I heard my name called and looked up to find Colleen Stats, board member of Frontier Horizon, Facebook friend, and fellow Ukraine adopter. It's amazing to meet people who you have only known in cyberspace. I know there are many others here who I know from the blog world and I hope to cross paths with before the close of the conference.

Robert and I are about the split up to attend the second breakout session. Robert will go to "Fundraising for Orphan Ministry" (which I'm sure will have a huge turnout) and I am headed to hear Traci Heim with Project Hopeful who will address "Adoption of HIV Positive Orphans and Other Special Need Orphans".

So much has been said this morning that strikes us deeply. The most provoking quote I would share is this question posed to a group of nearly 1300 individuals who call themselves servants of the King, "There are over 147 million orphans around the world today. Most Christians can't name 5. Why is that?"

5 comments:

Heidi and Felix said...

Hope you meet up with our UOO founders, Clarke & Kris Stoesz (pronounced stayce). Our youth minister, Kim Land from Grace Place, is there too. Sorry we couldn't come, but with Rimma just getting home, both of us out of vacation, and the expense of Lizzie comming this summer, we couldn't swing it.

Really hope to meet you and the family one day soon, this side of Heaven!

Felix

Stephanee&Zach said...

Oh my goodness I am so glad that you guys were able to attend. I must admit that I am a little bit jealous though and would have loved to meet you!! We wanted to go but it just didn't happen this year. I am thrilled with what God will do through this conference and look forward to hearing more reports from you!

Shelley said...

I would love to be there with you, but having just arrived home from Bulgaria last weekend, it just wasn't an option for me this year. I LOVE the quote you shared at the end and will share it on my blog too. I look forward to hearing more about what you're learning...so DO SHARE!!!

ourgirlsstory said...

Could you send me the info on how to buy the CD s for the conference. My husband and I are stating a orphan ministry in our church and everything we can learn is great. lynnloecher@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hey Girl, I haven't been here in a while but wanted to say hi. I must go to bed, but the titles of your posts look great, so I will be back to soak up some reading! God bless, Jen